With the start of a new school year comes the promise of new friends, perhaps a new sport, and fun new facts to learn. Unfortunately, nasty germs and illnesses often accompany this exciting time.
As children are back in close quarters, germs can easily pass from one child to another. Along with the usual fall allergies and colds that come with the change in weather, and the onset of flu season, it can be challenging to keep your child well at this time of year.
Here are a few tips to help stay healthy:
- Offer a balanced, nutritious meal three times a day, as well as hearty snacks to keep them energized.
- Encourage hydration throughout the day by sending a water bottle to school.
- Make sure they get enough sleep each night and stick to a consiste
nt bedtime routine.
- Teach kids to practice good hygiene and wash hands thoroughly and frequently, especially before eating and after using the restroom.
- Remind them not to share water bottles or drink from anyone else’s beverage container.
- Keep your child home from school if they have a fever, cough, have been vomiting, or have diarrhea.
- Ensure all vaccinations are current, and consider getting flu shots for the entire family.